The Mildura Sporting Precinct (MSP) is set to host its biggest weekend yet when it welcomes one of the region’s longest-running and most popular annual sporting events this Saturday – the Sunraysia Football Netball League (SFNL) Grand Final.
Councillor for Recreation and Events Mark Eckel said the MSP team and Council had worked closely with the SFNL in recent weeks to ensure the grand final weekend was a success.
“It’s been great to see the ongoing partnership between Council and the SFNL set to produce yet another bumper event for our community this weekend, which has been meticulously planned to ensure it’s a massive success,” Cr Eckel said.
The following arrangements have been put in place to ensure spectators, officials and players enjoy the event safely.
Vehicle access and parking
- Vehicle parking access will be via the Deakin Avenue entrance only. Traffic exiting will be via a left-hand turn only.
- There is no parking to the Oval boundary on Game Day.
- Clear traffic control instructions will be in place to both the ticket point and parking areas.
- Patrons are strongly encouraged to utilise the ‘Drop and Go Zone’ on Sixteenth Street.
- There will be enough on-site parking for about 800 vehicles. Some of this parking will not be accessible until after the U14s game on the Junior Oval. Additional parking becomes available at 11.30am
- Participants and spectators attending the badminton tournament at the MSP stadium will have access to designated free parking in front of the stadium.
- SFNL coaching staff, trainers and officials involved in match day operations will also have access to designated car parking in front of the stadium. Permits for this parking are available via the SFNL.
- Gates open at 7am.
- Ticket points will be available in three locations
MSP reception (pedestrian entrance)
Drop Off Zone in Sixteenth Street (pedestrian access)
Deakin Avenue main entrance
- The wet area will be located at the rear of the MSP stadium, near the San Mateo Avenue spectator hill. This will be serviced by additional public toilets.
- The football social clubrooms and upstairs bar located on the first floor will also be open throughout the day.
- Food options will include the typical offerings including BBQ, salad rolls, canteen, kebab van and coffee vans located throughout the precinct.
- The on-site café Golly Bakery will be open all day offering a range of hot and cold options, sweets and coffee.
- Public toilets will be in multiple locations, including the Pavilion, Ground Floor Stadium, First Floor Stadium and Netball Court Hall (Hall 1).
Cr Eckel said this weekend’s football and netball grand finals would be a chance for both players and the community to enjoy everything the MSP has to offer.
“From the AFL-standard playing surface on the premier oval, which is equal to almost anywhere in the country, through to the spectacle of an indoor netball grand final and all the excitement and atmosphere this will create, it’s going to be a bumper weekend which I’m sure the community will enjoy,” he said.
Mildura Mayor Liam Wood said this weekend’s SFNL grand final would further showcase the capabilities of the MSP.
“This Saturday’s grand final is the biggest event yet at the precinct, and the first in a series of major events in coming weeks, with the Bendigo Spirit pre-season game, AFLW game and Kings of Leon performance all happening next month,” Cr Wood said.
“It demonstrates the precinct’s ability to not only attract and host events catering for thousands of people, but the ability to host multiple events at the same time, given the major badminton tournament also being held at the venue this Saturday.”
Please note, given the wet weather there may be changes to parking arrangements. Keep up to date at www.mildurasportingprecinct.com.au or stay tuned to our social media.